daily reminder not to reblog missing people posts unless you actually know who the person in the photo is and that they really are missing, there are shitheads out there who look for people hiding from them. an abusive husband found his wife and child through such a post. they were under protected identity but he found them through a missing person post online.
Um this is really scary and I would have never considered this.
So I have not been able to verify the abusive husband story one way or another but in my search I have found that fake amber alert appears to be a thing— sources from Snope (x) PC World (x) and About.com’s urban legend sub-section (x). But with these at least you can check the actual amber alert website. I’m not sure how to go about verifying missing person otherwise, because only reblogging the person in the photo …wouldn’t that effectively cut off the signal boost power of social sites which is the whole point of posting those things in the first place?
This requires more thought.
wow this young justice hiatus feels like its going on forever
okay! so. here are some websites that i’ve found helpful, as distractions or deterrents from anxiety and/or sadness.
- silk - use rotational symmetry to create beautful art
- create your own nebula - the title says it all
- looking at something - rain sound effect, move your mouse around to create different effects. (caution with this one—some of the links at the top of the page lead to websites that are NOT epilepsy/photosensitive friendly) EDIT: there’s also a link at the top of the page that could be triggering to self-harmers. please exercise caution.
- the quiet place
- 90 second relaxation exercise
- the thoughts room
- calm.com - guided relaxation exercises coupled with calming nature scenes
- calmsound.com - various relaxing sound effects
- music catcher - easy game featuring relaxing music
- drift - cute game in which you are a bunny trying to jump on balloons
- calming manatee - a manatee who says nice things to you
i hope some of these are helpful bc you deserve to feel relaxed and calm! if you know of any other helpful sites, please feel free to reblog and add them in! :3